- Chairman Think Tank for International Forestry Issues, Stockholm (2010 to date)
- Chairman Committee on International Forest Issues of the Royal Swedish Academy of Agriculture and Forestry (KSLA) (2001 to 2013)
- Founder Member and Member Governing Council of the African Forest Forum (2007 to date)
- Chairman of the Steering Committee on project Lessons Learnt on Sustainable Forest Management in Africa (2003–2005)
- Director, International Foundation for Science (IFS), Stockholm (1992–2000); Director General, the International Centre for Research in Agroforestry (ICRAF) Nairobi (1981–1991)
- Chairman of the Board of the United Nations University Institute for Natural Resources in Africa (UNU/INRA), Accra, Ghana (1996–2002)
- Member of Boards of Trustees of CATIE, Costa Rica (2002–2007) and the African Forest Research Network (AFORNET), Kenya (2000-2010)
- Several consultancy and project/institution evaluation tasks in Asia (Laos, India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh), Central America and the Caribbean (Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Costa Rica) and Africa (15 different countries).
- M.Sc. Forestry 1969, Ph.D. Forest Ecology and Soils 1978.